Gilio Memorial 5K – 16:57, 1st place. Not much to say about this other than that I expected a much faster time; two months ago I ran a 16:10. According to the legendary Sheehan, the even-more-legendary Bowerman believed that a bad race almost always indicates overtraining (that "catastrophe on the other side of fitness"), and that smart runners respond by reducing volume, intensity, or both.
However, Sheehan writes, "most runners and coaches, of course, take the opposite view. For them a bad race is an indication to double the training rather than cut it in half." But increasing my training workload is precisely what I intend to do, because yesterday has to be an indication of something other than overtraining, right?
Sunday, May 25, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I never thought that I had a bad race (James Joyce) do to overtraining. It sure would be a convenient reason to explain my slow time. Interesting concept.
ReplyDelete